The surge of chicken products in the market is a pointer that many people are rearing chicken. One of the greatest challenges to chicken farmers is getting the right automatic hen feeders. Chicken are renowned for their habit of scratching through the feed during feeding. Consequently, this results in wastage. It could also lead to infections passed through bacteria stuck on their feet.
To get the ideal chicken feeder, it is advisable to go through the products in the market. However, the internet is awash with misleading information which targets novice farmer. This article reviews some of the best automatic hen feeders in the market. Besides, it also gives a buying guide. Here is a summary of the top chicken or hen feeders in the market that you need to consider for your poultry farm:
- Grandpa’s Feeders Automatic Hen Feeder
- Little Giant High Capacity Poultry Feeder
- RentACoop Chicken Feeder
- Miller 9112 Galvanized Hanging Poultry Feeder
- Ware Manufacturing Chicken Feeder Trough
- PECk-O-MATIC Demand Bird Feeder Kit
- Wise Cage Poultry Feeder
- Ware Little Red Hen Feeder
- MILLER Little Giant High Capacity Poultry Feeder
- Wooden Treadle Chicken Feeder
- super handy ChickenAutomatic Feeder
Factors To Consider When Buying Automatic Hen Feeders
Before settling for your selected best automatic chicken feeders, it’s prudent that you consider the following factors:
#1. The Size of Your Flock
If your flock is large, you need to get a big feeder. Similarly, you will be required to get a large feeder, especially if you have a large flock and don’t feed them regularly. Small feeders might cause the hens to suffocate.
#2. The Cost of Owning Automatic Hen Feeders
The cost of feeders refers to both the price tag and maintenance costs. The cost of buying galvanized materials is high. However, they do not frequently break, which reduces their cost in the long run. On the other hand, feeders that are made using plastic have a low price tag. However, they break down easily, which increases the overall cost in the long run.
The safety of chicken is paramount, and therefore, you should only get a feeder that is safe to use. Before buying the Feeder, you should ensure that it cannot collapse on the chicken.
The grills used to regulate the flow of the food should not choke the chicken during feeding. The material used to make the Feeder should also be resistant to rusting and contain zero contaminants for the health of the hens. You should also ensure that the Feeder protects the chicken against rodents
Top 10 Best Automatic Hen Feeders
1. Grandpa’s Automatic Hen Feeders
Grandpa’s Automatic Hen Feeder is renowned for its ability to minimize food waste and also maintain hygiene.
If you are a large scale chicken farmer, you should consider using Grandpa’s Feeder since it can accommodate 20lbs., enough to feed up to 6 chicken for more than eight days after filling it with food. The design of the Feeder makes it suitable for both indoor and outdoor uses since it is resistant to rain and sunshine.
This Feeder protects the chicken from the risk of feeding on the sides. Feeding on the sides could lead to the chicken having their heads stuck which might lead to suffocation.
To mitigate this risk, the front-feeders are mounted in a fixed place to prevent it from getting off the treadle. Using this Feeder protects the chicken food from wild birds, especially if you feed the chicken outdoors.
The Feeder is also fitted with side guards to prevent food wastage. The chicken cannot scratch away the food when feeding. The brand has been in the market for more than 20 years without significant complaints.
- Made of high-quality stainless steel for desired durability and corrosion resistance
- Feed on Demand solution for backyard chickens
- Large storage which can feed six chicken for ten days after a single refill.
- They are designed to protect the food from wild birds and rodents.
- The front Feeder is fixed to protect the chicken from getting stuck while feeding.
2. Little Giant High Capacity Feeder
If you are looking for a durable and economical feeder, Little Giant is the solution. The material used to manufacture it is galvanized, which makes it resistant to rusting.
- Large storage capacity, suitable for people who feed chicken after a long time.
- Has anti-scratch lips to ensure there is no spillage.
- Provides for the adjustment of feed levels
- Highly suitable for chicks as well as baby quails
- Comes complete with hanging hardware for convenient installation
- Feed saver grid to minimize food spillage and consequent wastage.
The feeder is resistant to water, which is used to moisten the chicken food. The Feeder can be mounted on a wall or used as stand-alone.
The Feeder can hold up to 25lbs. of chicken food. The large storage means that a single refill of the Feeder can be used by ten chickens for one week. The Feeder is fitted with a feed saver grid, which prevents the chicken from kicking the food while eating. This also minimizes the rate of soiling the food while eating.
The Feeder is installed with a shade that prevents the food from exposure to rain or sunshine, which could make feeding difficult and also affect the quality of the food. The Feeder is ideal for adult chicken. Therefore, people who rear chicks should look for alternative feeders that have minimal risks.
3. RentACoop Chicken Feeder
The RentACoop is revered for its ability to save on the chicken feed. To achieve this, the Feeder is fitted with a tube (L-shaped) on the sides of the Feeder from which the chicken feed.
The tube prevents the chicken from kicking the food from the Feeder. The tube is also used to keep the food dry and safe from rainwater, which can make it uncomfortable for the chicken during the feeding process.
The Feeder is also safe for the chicken. First, the design prevents the chicken from getting their heads stuck while feeding. Second, it is made using a food-grade plastic, free from BPA, which means the chicken cannot get contaminated when feeding.
The design allows one chicken at a time and this prevents spillage which occurs due to scramble for the food during feeding. The Feeder can accommodate up to 20lbs, which is enough to feed the chicken for two weeks.
- Made of High-quality durable Food Grade Material
- Comes fully assembled and ready for use
- Feeds are protected. No need for special feed covers
- Wastage is highly minimized
- Can be placed in any area within your yard
- High capacity. Can hold as high as 20 pounds of feed
- Holds enough feed to last 30 days for 2 hens
4. Miller 9112 Galvanized Hanging Poultry Feeder
If you don’t like the Feeder sitting on the ground, you can use Miller 9112. You can hang the Feeder on the roofing area using the handle according to your preferred height.
This also ensures the chicken feed comfortably. Raising the Feeder off the ground also prevents the spilling of the feed. When the Feeder is raised above the ground, it becomes hard for harmful bacteria to contaminate the food.
The Feeder is made using a galvanized material, which minimizes rusting and slows the aging process. The Feeder can hold up to 12lbs., which is enough to feed ten chicken for 12 days.
The design also makes the Feeder suitable for both the adult and young chickens during feeding. You can put the Feeder in place with easy since the materials are easily available. The Feeder is also ideal for people operating on a shoestring budget.
- Galvanized material to minimize the rate of rusting.
- It is raised above the rate of spillage and subsequent rusting.
- Medium storage (12lbs.) to feed adult hens for a significant period.
5. RentACoop Dual-Port Chick Feeder 5LB Capacity for Poultry/Chicks/Quail
Measuring 10″ X 6″ X 6″ and weighing 1.9 pounds this Dual-Port RentAccop Chick Feeder is highly recommended for chicks of up to 12 weeks old.
The feeder is made of safe plastic material for enhanced durability and the ability to withstand harsh weather conditions. It’s easily moveable and comes with a special attached handle.
The design structure ensures that your chicks’ food remains dry with no risks of spilling on the ground or getting exposed to dirt or chicken poop.
It allows for only 2 chickens to feed at any particular time. Its capacity is suitable for a total of 12 chicks.
- Has ports to suit chicks of up to 12 weeks
- comes with Food Grade dual-port feeders
- No spilling of feed and no food waste
- No Stand is required
- Comes with a handle, removable feeder cover, 2 feeding ports, and instructions
- Suitable for chicks, pigeons as well as quail
6. PECk-O-MATIC Demand Bird Feeder Kit
It is a sophisticated feeder designed to give optimal results. The PECk-O-MATIC is designed with a shade to provide the shade for protecting the feed from water and direct sun rays, which could adversely affect the quality of the food and also cause discomfort. This also prevents the chicken from wasting the food during feeding.
The Feeder is designed in a sophisticated manner, which only releases the food when the chicken is feeding. This prevents wild birds and rodents from sneaking to feed on it. Since the chicken is trained on how to use this Feeder, it becomes hard for the intruders to eat the food.
The bucket can store a large amount of feed, which is released on demand. This means after you fill the bucket with food, it can serve ten chicken for two weeks without feeling them again. Thus, you avoid the hassle of replenishing the food often since a single refill takes a lot of time to exhaust
- Improvised protection against adverse weather conditions and intruders.
- Large capacity and therefore no need to refill it often.
- They are designed to reduce wastage.
7. Wise Cage Poultry Feeder |Automatic Hen Feeders
The main feature which gives Wise Cage feeder an edge over others is that it can be accessed from two sides. The Feeder has a rain hood, which protects the dry food from moisture and rainwater. It also features a rolled lip that protects the food from spillage through scratching.
The Feeder is medium in size, which means it can only accommodate 1olbs. Of food. However, you can buy an extender to make the total size 20lbs. The design makes the Feeder suitable for birds that are enclosed. It is lightweight, which means you can carry it from one place to another easily.
You can fill the Feeder from the outside, after mounting it on the inside. Alternatively, you can mount on a fence, especially if you rear free-range chicken. Therefore, you don’t need to struggle to fill food in the Feeder.
- Easy accessibility when filling it with food and for the chicken too.
- Lightweight, making it easily portable.
- Easy to install.
8. Ware Little Red Hen Feeder
Ware Little Red Chicken Feeder is designed for people operating on a tight budget. However, it contains almost all the features required of automatic hen feeders. First, it has a hooded lid that protects the food from moisture.
Besides, it has to fold-out legs, which raise it off the ground and, as a result, prevent bacteria from getting into the feed. It also contains a scratch guard, which prevents spillage of the food.
The Feeder is lightweight, which means you can carry it around easily. This also makes it suitable for both indoors and outdoors. The Feeder is suitable for small scale chicken farmers since it can hold only 2.5lbs. Of food. It is also easy to use, which means the hens do not struggle to use it.
- Fold-out legs to raise it above the ground and minimize wastage.
- Lightweight to make it suitable for both indoors and outdoors.
- Scratch guard to prevent wastage of the feed.
9. MILLER Little Giant High Capacity Poultry Feeder
Giant Miller comes in two packs, which increases the size of storage. Each pack is 25lbs, which makes the total size 50lbs. The Feeder is flexible, and you can fit on a wall in the coop. The Feeder can sustain more than 20 chicken for two weeks, which makes it suitable for large scale chicken farmers.
The Feeder is made using a galvanized material. This makes it sturdy and resistant to rusting and normal aging.
You can hang the Feeder off the ground, which prevents the chicken from spilling the feed. It also prevents pests from getting into the feed. The grills regulate the flow of food, which subsequently reduces wastage.
- 2-pack of feeders to feed as many chickens for a long time as possible.
- Galvanized material to prevent rusting.
- A chute design which reduces the flow of food.
10. PestOff Rat Proof Chicken FeederKit
Instead of worrying about rodents taking advantage of your absence to feed on the chicken feed, you can get the PestOff feeder and sort out the problem once and for all. It is designed to protect the chicken feed from rodents and wild birds by the use of automation. When a rodent or wild animal tries to get into the feeding chamber, the hatcher moves down, subsequently blocking off the food.
The feeder is weatherproof and therefore you can feed the chicken without worrying about rainfall or refilling them constantly. It is made using stainless steel and food-grade plastic, which means the chicken cannot get poisoned in the process.
- Automatic pest-proof to keep the chicken food safe.
- Carry handle, non-rust stainless steel and anti-spill design for ease of use and cleaning.
- Relatively large capacity (8lbs./4lts).
11. Super Handy Chicken Feeder
Another top best range of automatic hen feeders is the Super Handy chicken feeder. It weighs 20lbs with a capacity of feeding up to 12 chicken for a period of 10 days. With its spill-proof galvanized steel construction, this is a durable feeder that is designed for chickens, roosters, and pheasants.
- Made of high quality and sturdy steel structure for the desired durability and resistance to both rust and corrosion
- Large size suitable for up to 12 chicken or fowl
- Ensures that chicken feeds are well protected from wild birds and other animals
- Has antislip plate to ensure that your hens don’t slip while feeding
The list above has reviewed some of the best automatic feeders in the market. Please note that there is no perfect product as discussed.
When choosing a feeder, you should consider the safety, cost, and features. This would help you to get the most reliable Feeder in the market. The list is comprehensive and covers most of the requirements for chicken rearing. Therefore, choose the product that meets most of your needs.